Questions for Audrey Tang from IFLRY for Libel Newsletter

1. You discovered your love for technology at a very young age. What made it so fascinating to you, and how did you come to realize that leaving school and pursuing this career path was the right decision for you?

2. How do you see the difference between working in the private sector and public sector, and if transitioning between the two was difficult? Is expressing your individuality easier in one than another, and do you think that technology and the internet have made it easier over all?

3. Have you faced any barriers as you transitioned genders, and were they different in Silicon Valley than in the government of Taiwan?

4.   It seems that many governments are on a path to become less transparent, and the US will soon likely be joining them. How do you see technology’s role in ensuring that governments will be held accountable and remain transparent even when they don’t want to be?

5.   You’ve said that you feel it is a duty to ensure that there is open debate and inclusiveness in society. With the spread of fake news and propaganda, as well as populism, especially on the far right,  how do you think we can ensure that we are hearing all viewpoints in a debate without allowing false information to be spread? How can online communication help in creating an open dialogue?

6.   As a member of the executive cabinet, what role, if any, do you see yourself having in promoting gender equality and LGBT equality in Taiwan? What steps would you like to see the government take next to expand on these rights?
  1. I was really like practicing a musical instrument, that has logic as its notes — and the possibility of interactions as its melodies.
    1.1. Because I was sure that I want to learn from the Internet, and the school is limiting my hours in the day.
    1.2. Also, I went to universities, and started listening in to graduate studies.

2. It was made easier through a gradual transition over two years.
    2.1. It’s equally easy.
    2.2. Yes.

3. Not at all. People are generally fine with it.

4. I think openness is a culture. It’s assisted, but never guaranteed, by anything legal or technological.

5. Sometimes you just lose hope because of too many previously failed attempts.
    5.1. But really, we are in a convergence of very high bandwidth, real time live streaming, and artificial intelligence that takes a lot of burden away for things like this.
    5.2. We do not need to censor speech to counteract against rumors; instead we can make facts easier to spread than rumors.

6. I think one of my contribution is “de-othering” the LGBTQ community, and I look forward to more intersectional collaboration on that.