Interview with Singularity Hub

1. How can we best upgrade humanity’s democratic operating system?

2. What do you see as the tenants of a thriving global democracy?

3. What has been the impact of radical transparency and participation in Taiwan so far? What do you hope it will lead to in the future?

4. What are the top challenges for re-wiring the democratic systems today?

5. Describe how your work in Taiwan is impacting global democracy and competitive governance.

6. What is Web 3.0 – is it crypto-enabled sharing economy on top of the mobile/social layer or something else?

7. What are your thoughts on liquid democracy?

8. Any projects like this in Taiwan?

9. Is there any data that proves that liquid democracy leads to better political systems or policy decisions?

10. What are your thoughts on blockchain technology in regards to collective decision making and democracy?

11. Can blockchain tech make online voting secure and safe?

12. You describe yourself as an anarchist minister. What do you mean by this? How do you reconcile anarchism with democracy?

13. Can you elaborate on the hard fork tactic you used and the impact that it’s had?

14. Can you elaborate on the concept of consensus in regards to the future of digital democracy.

15. You have talked about the importance of agreeing on objective facts, and addressing people’s emotional response in addition to the facts…with the phenomenon of fake news and so much ideology and self-bias, how do we address this within systems design and technology?

16. In Taiwan, you see democracy and the web as part of the same phenomenon because of the history of your country. How would you describe this phenomenon?

17. What’s the most exciting thing you’re working on now and why?

18. In regards to spreading transnational democracy systems, what are you most optimistic about, and what are you most pessimistic about?

19. You have talked about transforming the singularity of politics into a plurality of politics that requires call and response so that technology helps to build a unified democracy that is not hijacked by ideologies and that maximizes empathy…can you elaborate on this idea.

20. What was importance of the Occupy movement in terms of sparking this Web 3.0 and increasing P2P democratic technologies and processes?

1. By making up for the time and space differences so we can listen to each other in a scalable fashion.

2. :mag_right: Transparency — :raising_hand: Participation — :ledger: Accountability — :art: Inclusion, as explained in this video (with English captions).

3. So far, it has encouraged engagement from young people and from career civil servants — two groups traditionally with less agenda-setting power on public issues. As for the future, please refer to this conversation with Asaf Ronel.

4. The current processes for listening does not scale as well as broadcasting. We are working on that.

5. We’re seeing the methodology spreading internationally, though it is collaborative and not at all competitive.

6. I have no idea.

7. I think it’s an interesting rethink from representative systems, but at the moment I’m mostly exploring systems involving direct re-presentation of stakeholders.

8. Yes, there was some early experiments of this concept.

9. I’m not aware of any data proving — as in conclusively demonstrating — this, but I’m happy to learn about it if there is.

10. I think voting systems with secure properties is useful, though it does not necessarily involve blockchain systems.

11. Although secure voting systems does not necessarily involve blockchains, there has been encouraging research throughout this year that points toward this direction, which I’m following with interest.

12. Please refer to this conversation with Martin Legros. Through recursive communities.

13. I did not start the g0v movement. It was started late 2012 by my very good friend CL Kao and three of his friends. The way g0v works is this — we have a slogan, called “Fork the Government.” Fork has a very specific meaning in open-source development. It means take whatever is here, not rejecting it, but taking it to a different direction.

14. Please refer to RFC7282 for “rough consensus”. One who defends with love will be secure (夫慈,以守則固).

15. It takes technological, it takes educational, it takes an awareness of people’s responsibility to each other, for as long as it takes, it would take all sides to solve this. Eventually we’ll solve it.

16. A slow, but sure, transition.

17. The Holopolis international research project, collaboratively designed with our re:architect Shuyang, is a lot of fun.

18. I’m optimistic — and optimizing — for fun. I think the greatest danger is that we stop seeing, we stop reflecting, and that our vision we have for the future becomes a tunnel vision of a future, that only allows one possibility and excludes everybody out.

19. Yes. Please refer to this detailed writeup.

20. The Occupy movements made popular low‑cost, effective tools, that allow people to self‑organize.